Congressman Neguse Headed to El Paso, Texas to Conduct Congressional Oversight on Conditions Along the Southern Border
Congressman Neguse will visit an immigration detention facility in El Paso and join a Judiciary Committee oversight hearing looking to examine conditions on the southern border
Washington, D.C.— Congressman Joe Neguse is headed to El Paso, Texas later this week to tour an immigration detention facility and examine conditions along the southern border. He will also join the House Judiciary Committee’s Subcommittee on Immigration and Citizenship for a field hearing in El Paso, TX on Friday, September 6th, 2019 focusing on conditions along the southern border and the violence aimed at immigrant communities.
The two-panel hearing, entitled Oversight of the Trump Administration’s Border Policies and the Relationship Between Anti-Immigrant Rhetoric and Domestic Terrorism, will be led by El Paso Congresswoman Veronica Escobar (D-TX) and attended by Chairman Nadler (D-NY), Rep. Neguse (D-CO), Rep. Jayapal (D-WA), Rep. Garcia (D-TX), and Rep. Jackson Lee (D-TX).
The two-panel hearing will start at 10:00am and feature testimony from expert witnesses. A list of the panelists can be found below:
- Jo Anne Bernal, Esq. – County Attorney, El Paso County Attorney’s Office
- Monica Muñoz Martinez, PhD – Stanley J. Bernstein Assistant Professor of American Studies & Ethnic Studies, Brown University
- Alejandra Y. Castillo, Esq. – Chief Executive Officer, YWCA USA
- Shaw Drake, Esq. – Policy Counsel, American Civil Liberties Union of Texas, Border Rights Center
- Linda Y. Rivas, Esq. – Executive Director, Las Americas Immigrant Advocacy Center
- Mr. Fernando Garcia – Executive Director, Border Network for Human Rights
Friday, September 6, 2019
Press Conference @ 9:15AM MDT (live stream available)
Hearing @ 10:00 AM MDT (live stream available)
Media wishing to cover the hearing must be credentialed and should call the House Judiciary Committee to RSVP before Friday, September 6th at (202) 225-3951.