Marshall Fire Resources

Disaster Assistance Center

Boulder County Southeast Hub, 1755 South Public Road, Lafayette, CO

The Disaster Assistance Center is open everyday including weekends from 9AM to 7PM until further notice. 

This is a short-term assistance site where displaced residents can connect with DOLA, FEMA, insurance providers and human services, including mental health services, food, clothing, housing and financial assistance. At this site, residents can work directly with FEMA staff to register for individual assistance, as well as other resources.

Congressman Neguse’s Office Contact Information 

My staff is here to help! They can assist with any federal agency or help point you in the right direction for resources. Please feel free to reach out:

Boulder Office: 303-335-1045
Fort Collins Office: 970-372-3971
DC Office: 202-225-2161

Boulder Office of Emergency Management:

Follow @BoulderOEM and visit the Boulder Office of Emergency Management website for up to date information on evacuations and County resources. 

Boulder County Hotline: 303-413-7730

Evacuation Sites:

  • Lafayette YMCA, 2800 Dagny Way, Lafayette (accepting pets)

  • Rocky Mountain Christian Church, 9447 Niwot Rd. (95th and Niwot Road) (not accepting pets)

  • Please take large animals in need of shelter to Jefferson County Fairgrounds, 15200 W 6th Ave. Frontage Rd., Golden, CO, or The Ranch Events Complex, 5280 Arena Circle, Suite 100, Loveland, CO.

Community Programs 

United Way - call 2-1-1 for multilingual services and to get connected to food, snap benefits, transportation assistance, substance abuse, counseling, clothing, medical and dental needs, home repairs, housing and more.

ARC - giving vouchers so Coloradans can get clothes and other immediate needs. Locations in Broomfield, Louisville and Longmont. Just stop by the DAC and pick up your vouchers. 

FEMA Disaster Assistance

Residents and business owners who sustained losses in the designated counties can begin applying for assistance January 2 by registering online at or by calling 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or 1-800-462-7585 (TTY) for the hearing and speech impaired. The toll-free telephone numbers will operate from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. (local time) seven days a week until further notice.

Small Business Assistance

Businesses of all sizes and private nonprofit organizations may borrow up to $2 million to repair or replace damaged or destroyed real estate, machinery and equipment, inventory and other business assets. SBA can also lend additional funds to businesses and homeowners to help with the cost of improvements to protect, prevent or minimize the same type of disaster damage from occurring in the future.

For small businesses, small agricultural cooperatives, small businesses engaged in aquaculture and most private nonprofit organizations of any size, SBA offers Economic Injury Disaster Loans to help meet working capital needs caused by the disaster. Economic injury assistance is available to businesses regardless of any property damage.

Disaster loans up to $200,000 are available to homeowners to repair or replace damaged or destroyed real estate. Homeowners and renters are eligible for up to $40,000 to repair or replace damaged or destroyed personal property. 

Interest rates can be as low as 2.83 percent for businesses, 1.875 percent for private nonprofit organizations and 1.438 percent for homeowners and renters with terms up to 30 years. Loan amounts and terms are set by SBA and are based on each applicant’s financial condition.

To be considered for all forms of disaster assistance, survivors must first contact the Federal Emergency Management Agency at As soon as Federal-State Disaster Recovery Centers open throughout the affected area, SBA will provide one-on-one assistance to disaster loan applicants. Additional information and details on the location of disaster recovery centers is available by calling the SBA Customer Service Center at (800) 659-2955.

Boulder Small Business Development Center Can help businesses access resources and help them navigate how to receive funding from multiple sources. If you are looking to get funding for your business, visit or stop by the DAC to stop by and talk to someone face to face.

Disaster Unemployment Assistance

President Biden's Disaster Declaration for Boulder County authorizes CDLE to begin processing Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA) claims for affected individuals.

DUA is very similar to Pandemic Unemployment Assistance, in that it is meant to provide benefits to individuals who are not eligible for standard unemployment benefits, like gig workers or independent contractors, or those that have exhausted their standard UI benefits. With that in mind, all claimants' first step will be to file a standard UI claim to determine eligibility. If determined ineligible for any reason, the system will present the option to file for DUA on their profile.

DUA provides unemployment benefits for up to 26 weeks.  The first possible week of compensation for DUA purposes is the week ending January 8, 2022, and the final week of compensation is the week ending July 2, 2022. Claims must be filed between January 3, 2022, through February 2, 2022.

More information will be found at the Boulder County Personal Finance Program (720-564-2279 or visit

Transportation Assistance

Marshal Fire Transportation and Transit Resources - 

  • RTD passes available at the Disaster Assistance Center
  • If you need help securing transportation to get there, call Via Mobility at 303-447-9636
  • Lyft is providing transportation assistance to Colorado residents impacted by the recent Marshall wildfires. The discounted ride code (COFIRERELIEF22) provides access to Lyft rides to help those in affected areas move to designated shelters. The rides will be available through January 18. More details on the process and availability are provided in this blog post

Insurance Information and Tips 

During Colorado’s historic wildfires in 2020, the Colorado Division of Insurance (DOI) and the Rocky Mountain Insurance Association (RMIA) shared insurance advice on evacuations, filing claims, and financial preparedness. On top of the practical tips below, here are three key reminders for Coloradans, whether you have been evacuated, are under a pre-evacuation alert, or have already suffered some kind of loss due to a wildfire.

  • Know your policy - If you don't have a copy of your policy, contact your agent or company and request it.

  • Keep your receipts - If you are evacuated or displaced for a period of time, be sure to keep copies of all restaurant, hotel, and other living expenses incurred because you cannot go home. 

  • Contact the DOI with concerns and questions – While claims need to be filed with the insurance companies, the DOI can assist consumers with questions about insurance and the claims process. Call DOI at 303-894-7490 or 800-930-3745 (outside of the Denver metro area) or email them at

Housing Assistance

Boulder County Housing Helpline - helping renters and landlord navigate this process and find financial assistance. Call 303-441-1206 and leave a detailed message or email . A housing specialist will return your call as soon as possible. 

  • Boulder Area Rental Housing Association - This webpage is only meant to be a way to show available properties to residents who were impacted by the fires and need housing and is for informational purposes only. Property owners will be solely responsible for qualifying, interviewing and communicating with prospective tenants. 

Returning Home After the Fire

  • Don’t delay - Once the danger has passed, if your property has been damaged due to fire and/or smoke, don't wait -- start the claim process by calling your insurance company or agent. Contact the DOI if you need the contact information for your company or agent.

  • Document/mitigate the damage - If the damage to your home is extensive, start taking photos of the property and documenting what was lost. Protect from further damage by placing tarps on roofs or boarding up windows, but don’t begin repairs without contacting your insurance company.

  • Claims Settlement in the Time of COVID-19 - Insurance companies have implemented safety procedures that address COVID-19 concerns to provide virtual property and inspection opportunities whenever possible in the claim settlement process. If an on-site inspection is required, adjusters are trained in proper safety precautions. 

  • Verify public adjusters - In the aftermath of a disaster like a wildfire, public adjusters may contact you if you have suffered damage to your home. You are not required to hire a public adjuster, but if you do, make sure he or she is licensed and reputable – check references. If possible, hire a Colorado-based adjuster. The DOI licenses public adjusters and consumers can call the Division to verify a license. Public adjusters work on behalf of a consumer and often charge a percentage of the claim amount. The fee is agreed upon in the contract between the public adjuster and the consumer. This cost is not included in the claim amount paid by the insurer.

If you have any questions about insurance - your policy, how things work, how to file a claim or just how to get ahold of your company or agent - contact the Division of Insurance Consumer Services team. 303-894-7490 / 800-930-3745 /

Food Assistance

  • SNAP - Apply online at Replace your EBT card by calling 1-888-328-2656. Check your EBT card balance at
  • WIC - apply online at
  • Community Food Share: Call 303-652-3663 or visit
  • Sister Carmen Community Center - Call 303-665-4342 or visit

Avoiding Post-Disaster Scams and Fraud

As disaster victims find themselves in vulnerable financial situations, they can be targets of scammers pretending to be government employees, creditors, mortgage servicers, insurance adjusters, and contractors. Keep the following in mind:

  • FEMA scams - In some cases, thieves try to apply for FEMA assistance using names, addresses and Social Security numbers they have stolen from survivors. If a FEMA housing inspector contacts you or comes to your property and you did not submit a FEMA application, your information may have been used without your knowledge to create a FEMA application. If this is the case, please inform the inspector that you did not apply for FEMA assistance so they can submit a request to stop further processing of the application. If you did not apply for assistance, but receive a letter from FEMA, please call the FEMA Helpline at 800-621-3362 or email

  • Inviduals posing as government official - Beware of anyone claiming to be from FEMA or the state who asks for a Social Security number, bank account number, or other sensitive information. Remember that HUD, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), and the Small Business Administration do not charge fees to apply for assistance or to receive property damage inspections.
  • Hire reputable contractors - If someone is trying to sell you something or asking for a donation, you can say no and then do the necessary research. Make sure that any contractor you hire is qualified and has all applicable licenses or certifications required by their field by visiting National Association of State Contractors website or contacting DOI at 303-894-7490 / 800-930-3745 /
  • Verify charities - Work with charities and services you know and trust - Do research before donating to new organizations or using new services. Stick with names and reputations vetted at Charity NavigatorCharity Watch, and
  • For general fraud claims, call the U.S. Department of Justice's National Center for Disaster Fraud at 866-720-5721.

Other best practices to avoid fraud:

  • Do not be pressured into taking immediate action - If someone is telling you that you need to act now, they are likely trying to prevent you from verifying whether the business is legitimate. Never pay in full in advance, and do not pay with cash. 
  • Obtain offers in writing - Ask for written estimates and contracts before you do business. Read the fine print. Make sure your contract does not include any clauses that allow for substantial cancellation fees if you choose not to use the contractor after your insurance company has approved the claim, or that require you to pay the full price if you cancel after the cancellation period has expired.
  • Pay with a credit card whenever possible - This gives you the ability to reverse fraudulent charges, adding an extra layer of protection.
  • Initiate communication - Never make payments or give out personal information to someone on a phone call you did not initiate.

For other best practices, visit this U.S. Housing and Urban Development fact sheet

Internal Revenue Service (IRS)

The IRS has postponed filing deadlines for those impacted in the Marshall Fire until May 16, 2022. For businesses and individuals that may be eligible for assistance, visit

The tax relief postpones various tax filing and payment deadlines that occurred starting on December 30. As a result, affected individuals and businesses will have until May 16 to file returns and pay any taxes that were originally due during this period. This includes 2021 individual income tax returns due on April 18, as well as various 2021 business returns normally due on March 15 and April 18. Among other things, this means that affected taxpayers will have until May 16 to make 2021 IRA contributions.

For more information from the IRS regarding assistance during a disaster, please visit IRS Disaster Assistance and Emergency Relief for Individuals and Businesses.

Replacing Documents

If you have had any of the following documents destroyed due to wildfires in your area, please contact our office directly:

  • Social Security card

  • Passport

  • Naturalization card

  • Tax returns 

  • Military records

My office is here to help. If you need assistance working with a federal agency, getting replacements for federal documents, or if you simply need information about what resources are available to you, please reach out to us. 

Mental health resources